Thursday, July 27, 2006

Books

Sorry for the long hiatus. Hmm, I wonder if a hiatus has ever caused a hiatal hernia? Anywho I have been writing a fantasy story lately for my buddy Colter, and that has consumed much of my writing focus. You know, swords and magic. Not, er, the other kind of fantasy. He'd never speak to me again, I'm certain of it. And I would probably be exceedingly bad at writing that manner of thing anyway.

The embarassing moment that happened to me yesterday went thusly:

I was walking down the long hallway at work and there was a man walking in front of me. He had a paperback in his hip pocket. I was scrutinizing the cover trying to make out the title because it looked like a scifi novel. I couldn't get a fix on the book because the guy was really walkin'and the gluteal flexor that was supporting the book heaved it about enough to blur the writing. Just then a guy and gal walking the other direction catch me, only from their angle they can't see the paperback. So here I am looking like I'm following this guy down the hall just to stare intently at his situpon. There is no time for explanation. The judgement falls instantly and finally, like the blade of Madame Guillotine.

I'm a bum-looker, Cheeky Monkey, full member of the Audobum society. Maybe there is something to books driving one crazy like poor old Don Quixote.

Anyway another reason I have been a wee tardy lately is that I am self conscious of my typing. I have attempted to switch to the Dvorak keyboard layout and I am not yet up to full speed.

Hang in there Basement Dwellers, more Jonnyten to come!

3 Comments:

Blogger nicolas said...

My idea of the "other" fantasy writing from Jon Rock (prior to marriage)...

Ricardo's rough, manly face surveyed her long hair, her flashing eyes, and her neatly tied shoes. He took it all in, and decided that she looked not terrible. Nodding slowly, confidence flowing freely from his pores like the sweat emenating from his armpits, he lumbered over to her in a masculine manner.

"I saw you from across the room, and I couldn't help but notice your purchase from the gumball machine. Do you...have a thing for gumball machines?" he asked suavely.

"Oh...oh yes" she replied. "There is something about the way that they look, full of gumballs...it seems like they're sassy, yet intelligent all at the same time. I've never been able to put my finger on it, and I wish I could meet a man who could explain this feeling to me."

Ricardo felt of surge of confidence flowing through his eyebrows.

"Have you ever seen MST3000?" he asked.

"No" she replied. "Could you tell me more about it?"

Ricardo knew that this was the woman for him. He confidently wrapped his arms around the beautiful stranger's waist hesitantly, before uttering the words that would change his life forever:

"Gimme some sugar, baby".

10:43 AM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Dave Wise said...

I have always been intrigued by the Dvorak thing but never had the guts to give it a go (especially since it would require either dissassembling my keyboard or buying a new one, and convincing my wife that nothing has actually changed...)

11:55 AM, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Jonny10 said...

Ahem. Dvorak.
Sorry I didn't link it sooner.

11:10 PM, August 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home